Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Healthy (vegan) brownies

Yum! I am so impressed with this recipe! It is altered from this Vegan Brownies recipe on www.allrecipes.com. Carl and I were both really impressed with the chocolaty goodness of these moist cakelike brownies. They were excellent warm out of the oven and even better cold (this morning *blush*).

Blissful Brownies
2 cups unbleached all-purpose white flour (next time I might do 1.5 white and .5 whole wheat)
1 cup white sugar
1 cup Splenda (this stuff freaks me out but I figure on occasion it is ok for Carl and I - the kids don't eat chocolate so I felt ok about using it in this recipe)
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (Ghiradelli)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup light soymilk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup applesauce
2 teaspoons vanilla extract (the original recipe called for 1 teaspoon but I love good vanilla)

Preheat oven to 350*
Mix dry ingredients together.
Mix wet ingredients together.
Mix all ingredients together until well blended.
Spray 9x13 baking pan with oil. Spread mix in pan. Smooth top.
Bake for 25 minutes in preheated oven, until the top is no longer shiny. Let cool for at least 10 minutes before cutting in to squares.
While baking lick the spoon and bowl - there are no raw eggs - enjoy the batter!

2 comments:

Christy said...

Yum! Nick loves cake brownies. Maybe I'll give these a try.

Joelle said...

Making me hungry! Looks good! Thank you for commenting on my Thursday Thirteen at quiet-mom.com