Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Video games and Reading?

I have to admit I am not a video game player. Nor am I am fan of video games being played in our home. BUT my husband loves video games and I love him so I tolerate it. Now our sons love video games too. We are very selective about what they are exposed to and they are only allowed to play Xbox360 or the NintendoDS on the weekends and for a limited time. I am usually involved in some other task while they play but this past weekend they asked me to play with them. Zachary and I played Beautiful Katamari.
Photobucket
Beautiful Katamari is a very strange game that includes a talking head with captions. I was amazed as Zachary read almost every word of the captions to me. In the span of a 10 minute game he read all of the following aloud:
ordinary
present
princedom
barely
worth
better
adding
explore
remember
yummy
should
orbit
alligator
earth
everything
delish
maybe
playful
satellite
shame

Satellite was the only word on the list that he needed help with and after seeing it a couple of times he recalled it when he saw it again. Ok, so maybe some learning or at least a demonstration of learning can happen with a video game.

1 comment:

Beth said...

That is so cool! They are such sponges :)