Monday, January 07, 2008

We made crayons!

We made star crayons for my sons' birthday party goody bags.
Photobucket

For 19 good sized stars we used 4 24 packs of Crayola crayons (purchased before school sales for $1/for 4). My first test star I did a single layer - it was pretty but pretty thin - I was afraid it would break as soon as a kid got a hold of it so the remaining 18 we did a double layer of crayons. I should have taken pictures of the process but you can see it on Craftster (my inspiration but I did it a little different).

We peeled all of the crayons (my almost 3 year old was good at this for a bit, my 5 year old was a trooper - he lasted longer than DH LOL!), broke them (kids loved that) and then filled the little pans. I tried to group good colors together without being too matchy. I baked them at 350* for about 5-6 minutes. A few of the pans had parts of crayons in the middle that weren't fully melted - I just pushed them down in to the melted parts and they turned out fine. Once they were cooled I just popped them out of the mini pans and we have crayons! The boys love their crayon gifts for their friends!

These are the little pans (I think I need to go back and get more - I am sure I can use them for loads of stuff like paint or snacks - super cool for $1). The foil is very thin and once hard the crayons very easily popped out and the foil was clean enough to just throw in the recycling bin.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

The thickness of the crayons -
Photobucket

And some vanity shots of the candles...
Photobucket
Photobucket

1 comment:

Sarah said...

That looks like a fun craft!